Why test your site?
Testing a site is checking its pages in a large number of different ways: checking the display of pages in different browsers, checking the quality of pages, identifying code errors with a validator, testing page loading speed, etc.
The main goal of such a thorough check of the site is the competent adjustment of all indicators, one or all of the pages of the site, prompt detection and elimination of all defective places on the site, as well as its adaptation for various devices. That will be useful and convenient both for the site owner himself and for his visitors.
Testing is also necessary when adding new functionality to the site. Even if you plan to make minor changes like adding icons or changing the font, you need to test them first. It is important that all innovations are displayed correctly in any browsers and are always available to users.
For the check to be effective, it is necessary to take into account all the nuances of the site and check all of its functionality, from the simplest settings to the analysis of the correct operation of its individual programs.
After careful analysis and collection of all the necessary data, the following types of tests are carried out:
- block, which developers create for individual parts of the functionality in order to test them in an isolated mode;
- integration to test several interacting functionalities, they imitate the actions of real users and send a report on the work done;
- functional to check the operation of the entire system, the test checks the entire pages and confirms the operation of all systems in accordance with the prescribed TOR;
- smoke tests for express system check, they are used for the most simple and superficial checks.
Conducting such tests involves identifying errors both during testing and after it.
You can test the site both manually and automatically. Each of these methods has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The tester uses special programs to carry out an automatic check. Such programs can be used several times, which significantly saves time. The algorithm of such programs determines the compliance of certain parameters of the site with the expectations of users. This type of testing is most suitable for large projects loaded with complex functionality.
With such a check, the tester performs all actions manually, without using special programs. Such testing is most useful, since when it is performed, flaws in the verification are excluded. Automatic testing shows whether the system is working or not, and manual testing allows you to evaluate the effectiveness of various systems from the user’s point of view. Therefore, you cannot refuse manual testing.
As a result of testing, you will learn not only about which functionality works properly on the site, and which one has some problems, but also get the following advantages:
- saving resources to maintain the site,
- ensuring the security of the code and the ability to make changes to it even after several years,
- improving the architecture and security of the code.
Testing is carried out not only during use, but also during the development of sites. Indeed, even at the stage of creating a web resource, it is important to correctly assess the efficiency of all its systems.
High-quality development of websites of any type is one of the main services of the digital agency CASTCOM. Contact the agency for web projects of any level of complexity.